Friday, June 25, 2010

I Hope You Are Okay





When I fell in love for the first time I was obsessed with the boy and so blinded I couldn't see at all how deeply patronising a character he really was. He broke my heart and left me weeping in a friend's living room at a party. I didn't stop weeping for months and maybe even years. Until something in my brain chemistry clicked and it became crystal clear that the guy was a total fraud, a phony.

One day this year I decide to go to Belgium to live with Stephen. I have to sub let my room to someone. I send out an email to many many people. A girl calls and she asks me if I would be okay with a couple living in my room. I say to her that we should all meet for a drink and see how things go. A few days later I receive a text message from her boyfriend, the same boy who broke my heart. He wants to make sure I knew it was him and he wants to know how I am. I say I am well and that it would be inappropriate for him to live in my room. He says he agrees and "I hope you are okay." As if after all this while I am still bitter at him. Well of course I am, because he is an idiot.

"I hope you are okay" is i think same sentiment as in Sophie's break up letter from her lover "Take Care of Yourself." Did these men really think they were at the centre of the universe? and didn't they realise that we can change the centre of the universe at a moments notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment